Monday, September 22, 2008

St Michael's: My Kind of Town

I think the goddess of fair weather has finally answered my desperate whining pleas for cooler and more tolerable sleeping weather. Last evening was perfect with just a hint of a cool night breeze that made me reach for the polar fleece blanket in the middle of the night. So we were up early and ready to explore St Michael’s.

After securing a spot at the dingy dock, we went in search of a breakfast eatery. The first place that we came to was the Carpenter Street Saloon. We knew that it had to be a great place by all of the people waiting to get in. So we took our place in line and found that the line moved rather quickly. We were not disappointed in the slightest – the food was great and the ambiance even better. The establishment is two historic juxtaposed buildings. One is an affordable family restaurant and the other is a friendly saloon complete on that day with a biker rally, free popcorn, music, and pool tables. It certainly was a happening place.

Just about anything one could want can be found on Talbot Street which is the main drag of St Michael’s. Lining both sides of the street are the most charming and unusually quaint shops. The shops in St Michael’s differ from shops in other waterfront towns in that the items contained within these stores were not the usual run of the mill “touristy stuff” that seem to be everywhere else. There were lots of local artwork and antiques unique to the area.

However, I will confess right up front that three establishments sucked me right in…the first was the St Michael’s Winery. Following a round of tastings, we left with several bottles of local liquid refreshment. One of the items was a Chocolate Zinfandel – two of my favorite things that I would never have thought to combine. We did sample this wine before purchasing it and it is even better than the name indicates.






Onward down Talbot Street, I found Frivolous Fibers

which is a most welcoming yarn shop. Here I fell in love with a line of yarn that I had never seen nor heard of before, but OMG was it to die for! Blue Heron Yarn is locally dyed to reflect the colors found in and around the Chesapeake Bay. I decided to spurge and I got two skeins to make two different shawls.

My third favorite shop was the Chesapeake Bay Outfitters because not only does this store carry the complete line of Life is Good items BUT they were all ON SALE. 90% of both Captain Mark’s and my wardrobe is comprised of Jake's clothing and to find them on sale is just divine intervention.


Ranking right after wine and yarn, tote bags are my next favorite thing in the whole wide world and guess what? Yep, I found an oversized Life is Good “Love” tote bag on ultra ultra clearance that the store was almost paying me to carry away. How could I resist even when Captain Mark was mumbling something about how many totes/wine/yarn will a Nordic Tug be able to hold…

As we rode back in the dinghy to the Lolligag with the wine, yarn and clothing purchases all secure within my new tote, I decided that Frank can have Chicago because now St Michael’s, Maryland is MY kind of town.

No comments: