Saturday, September 6, 2008

Hanna was a Wimp

We spent all day Friday making sure that our lines were such that we could adjust them without leaving the boat, that all four corners of the boat were secured to the pier but yet cushioned with fenders, that we had enough provisions to last at least six months and anxiously anticipating our first hurricane. We watched Hanna creep toward and up the eastern US coastline minute by minute on the Weather Channel. Hurricane veterans and old salts told us of their experiences with Hurricane Isabel and tried to shock “the Midwesterners” with their hurricane tales. I fell asleep Friday evening with almost as much excited anticipation as I feel on Christmas Eve…I simply could not wait for Saturday morning to arrive.

When I awoke on Saturday morning I immediately opened the stern door and saw hardly anything that resembled a hurricane. In fact, the clouds were not even dark. So I assumed that Hanna was just being slower than predicted. All morning I waited for the fierce winds and rain AND NOTHING happened. About noon, it started to rain and it rained hardly at all for the next hour AND that was IT. Hanna was over. I could not believe it…what a disappointment…now the upside is that we did have a beautiful sunset.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had an easy ride this time. I grew up near New Orleans and went through several storms. They all have their individual characteristics.

I was driving north through Ohio when the remnants of Ike passed through. 65+ mph tailwind did wonders for my mileage. Howver, I'm glad I didn't have that as a crosswind.

Enjoying the blog.