Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Mittens for the Wunder Kids

As most of you know, I just love to knit and knit and knit some more. I do truly love to make mittens for the Wunder Kids each year and I take my grandmotherly mitten duty very seriously. I faithfully abide by the rules set by daughter Samantha, mother of the Wunder Kids, in that I must make AT LEAST 36 mittens each year. These mittens must all be the same size and color so that they will coordinate with the winter wear of two boys and one girl – nothing too feminine – crayon colors only, please. These mittens must be warm, must be able to dry quickly after serious snow episodes and must be plentiful in number (as stated above). As each of the Wunder Kids is eleven months apart and are currently ages 8, 9, and 10, getting them ready and out the door for school in a timely fashion can often be a major feat. This is why the mittens must be all the same color, size and within easy reach of the door for a speedy departure.

As the Wunder Kids live in the frozen tundra of Indiana, I made sure that 12 mittens were sent “north” in October so that their little hands would not freeze off before I could get the remainder of the mittens to them at Christmas time when we returned home for the holidays. What I was not prepared for was the fact that the mittens would become DOG FOOD once they reached the home of the Wunder Kids. While we were merrily chatting at the holiday time, I casually asked how the mittens were working out and if they seemed to be the correct size…Daughter/Mother Sam says “Oh hey Mom, you may need to make more mittens this year as Athena (THE DOG) ate a couple of them.” I was dumbstruck – THE DOG ATE THEM – this statement coming from our firstborn and a teacher at that – THE DOG ATE THEM !!

I could hardly believe my ears…I called Wunder Kid Madeline for confirmation and while Miss Madeline did not want to get Athena (THE DOG) in trouble or upset her Grandmother, she shyly admitted that “maybe Athena had eaten one or two but the mittens were very nice this year, Grandma”.


As the weather has turned colder and is now below zero in the Indiana tundra, I have been bombarded with emails and even a comment on Monday’s blog about three little children who have no mittens…I want to assure everyone that despite the fact that Athena (THE DOG) seems to savor and seek out navy blue mittens as an afternoon treat, I will indeed be sending another batch of mittens to the Wunder Kids. It is my sincere hope that either Athena (THE DOG) is kept in her cage when the mittens are left to dry on the registers or that SOMEONE puts the wet mittens in the dryer to dry so that this next batch may last a little longer than the first batch. As a grandmother, I will always continue to knit and knit and knit some more so that little hands may stay warm in Indiana.

No comments: