Monday, January 14, 2008

Getting Settled In: After


For me the trick to good organization is in removing as much of the packaging as possible. Moisturizer and deodorant store very nicely without all that bulky cardboard. The same is true of Ziploc bags, Bounce sheets and just about everything else. We have also been told that when we get the warmer climate in the Caribbean that nasty little bugs like to eat the glue that holds cardboard together. With that image in mind, I did all that I could to eliminate as much cardboard as I could.




As I am perpetually starting a diet, I put serving size portions into snack size Ziploc baggies, then I store these bags in a gallon size bag which holds them all together in a neat and tidy manner. Old peanut butter and mayonnaise jars are the perfect “canisters” for condiments. This is a cheap way to get containers and re-cycle at the same time.


The only tricky part was to find a way to store the glass canning jars so that they would not break when we are in high seas. I stored the jars back in the original canning jar boxes (which I know will deteriorate in time). Then I padded the jars with the extra towels that I store in our deck box.

Please note the port-hole covers – YEP, they are Poppin Fresh Pie pans. We really had a hard time finding port-hole covers and when we did, they were just way too expensive for me to purchase. These covers work just fine for those times when I am not making a pie.

Wine bottles are stored under the back deck in Styrofoam wine cases. This protects the wine bottles as much as possible and keeps the wine cool as this part of the boat is underwater. Of course, box wine stores the easiest. After having done exhaustive research, I have found that Target sells the best wine in a box. So if one must drink wine from a box, Target is the place to go.

Also, please note that all yarn is stored out of sight and that no matter what Captain Mark says, I brought just the right amount of yarn aboard. So my motto is confirmed: all things have a place and a dual purpose aboard The Lolligag.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We need mittens, only 3 left and was eaten by an animal...