Friday, May 1, 2009

On the road again


Beth and Chris very generously agreed to ride to Virginia with us and then drive the pickem-up truck back to Indiana. It has been a long time since we have had a family road trip and it was fun traveling and being with them.

As we travelled along I-64 through Kentucky and West Virginia, I shared with Beth and Chris the story of Mary Draper Ingles and the book Follow the River by James Alexander Thom. Her journey and subsequent escape from the Indians came to life as we saw up close and personal the mountains and terrain that she traversed in order to return to her home in Virginia. A bridge on I-64 spanning The New River is dedicated and named in her honor. A true story, this book is a must read as it tells her struggle of survival to return to her family. This winter we were most fortunate to meet Mr Thom and his lovely wife Dark Rain Thom while attending a 1700’s re-enactment festival.



Continuing east, we stopped at the Bates Motel for the evening. I will admit right up front that I am a hotel snob and very picky about where I sleep. This place was true to its name and at any minute I knew that Norman would be knocking on our door with knife in hand…There was no way that I was going to sit on anything other than the sheets (which looked clean and clear of tell-tale spots). I was tempted to stay fully clothed while showering but that seemed to defeat the purpose of washing away the fleas. We were entitled to a Bates Breakfast with our stay but prudently Captain Mark suggested that we opt for the local I-Hop instead = good choice.

We arrived at the York River Yacht Haven to a sunny 85 degrees which felt wonderful following the cold and rainy weather we left in Indiana. The Lolligag was not yet in the water and we were anxious to see the damage from the break-in and speak with marina personnel. So we headed to the marina office for a little chat.

No comments: