Friday, July 18, 2008

Warships Returning to Norfolk

After exiting Norfolk Harbor we spotted on the distant horizon two Warships returning from the Atlantic. We watched in awe as the ships came closer to us. I am not sure if these ships had been out for a long period of time or were just returning from routine maneuvers, but the romantic in me wanted to think that they were returning to port after a long time at sea. With this thought in mind, I could not help but get a little weepy as I thought of the men and women returning to the ones they love.














There is a statue in Norfolk that I think very dramatically reflects the homecoming of sailors and thus is aptly named The Homecoming. All day long I thought of the men and women returning from sea to reunions with their families and loved ones. While I would like to think that the majority of these reunions were full of happy tears and laughter, my heart went out to the sailors who had no one to greet them but walked proudly even if heartbroken past the reuniting families.

No comments: