Thursday, October 25, 2007

Days 35 & 36 October 24 & 25 Grand Harbor Marina

We left Florence under cold and wet weather conditions. It wasn’t really raining but it was more than misting making for a dreary day all around. When we left there was no fog on the river but as we traveled further along the fog started to roll in.


We had planned to anchor out in a cove across from Grand Harbor Marina but as the fog let up the wind started to kick. The weather channel was predicting wind gusts of up to 50 mph so we thought it would be best if we just stayed at Grand Harbor. As it turned out, this was a very wise choice for several reasons. The weather just got nastier after we docked and this marina is wonderful. The staff is extremely helpful and the facilities are immaculate. The shower had plenty of hot water, so I was in heaven. The courtesy car that was provided was not a beater but a brand new mini van. While I am eternally grateful for each and every courtesy car that is provided for us at marinas, I must say that that common denominator seems to be the “Check Engine” light that always seems to be on in the courtesy vehicles.

Now the coolest thing about this marina is that it has a Spa – can you believe that? I was blown away…Since I have spent all of my discretionary income to fund this trip, I had no money left for Botox or any of the other Spa services that were available to me if I was not so poor. I have been told that being a Sea Hag is not the worst thing that could happen to me…Since I was play pouting about not being able to indulge myself with $1000 a day pampering at the Spa, Captain Mark suggested that we have a nice dinner out while in Pickwick, USA, as the area is known. This seemed like a wonderful idea and I stopped pouting immediately. The place that was very highly recommended was Freddy T’s.


When we pulled up and I saw the major stretch limo and pirate motif, I was not too sure that we had the correct place, but sure enough, we did. We were the first patrons in the restaurant when it opened at 5p and I still was not sure about this place…but within three minutes of being there, I fell in love with the place. The wait staff was delightful and just as cute as could be. I asked about the Riesling wines, so the bartender brought me samples of each so that I could make my decision. Of course this was very wise of him because I then HAD to purchase a bottle because it was so good and he was so nice. The food proved to be as good as the service and surroundings. Mark had a steak and I had chicken marsala and both were excellent. Dinner was over and we were back at the boat by 7p and asleep by 8:30p. This is now our MO – it seems weird to stay up later than 9p now.

The next day was equally as cold, windy and rainy so we decided to stay another day. On this day we again borrowed the courtesy van and toured the area. The marina is actually in the state of Tennessee located at the convergence of the Tennessee River and Yellow Creek which is connected to the Tombigbee River via the Tenn-Tom Waterway. We drove over to Ikua, Mississippi and then back to Pickwick, USA.

What I found to be most interesting was how much this particular area looks like southern Indiana. It is rolling and hilly with many of the same trees and shrubs. Once again we were asleep early so that we could leave as soon as the river mist lifted in the morning.

Hours on the water: 5
Nautical miles traveled: 37
Number of locks: 0
Time spent waiting at locks: 0
Tomorrow's Destination: Anchorage somewhere on the Tenn-Tom
What we're listening to: I am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe
What we watched: Captain Ron = Excellent = Our favorite boating movie
Lesson for the day: There are some things that are better than Botox
Obligatory knitting report: Mittens for Wunder Kids

No comments: