Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Days 18 thru 20 – October 6-9 – Green Turtle Bay Marina Kentucky

We arrived at Green Turtle Bay Marina about 2p on Saturday afternoon. Before going to our slip, we filled up with diesel fuel, pumped out and I got the code for the Internet connection – in that very precise order. I know where my priorities lie!! I had not been connected to the Internet for almost a week and I was having serious withdrawal.

Our slip was very conveniently located near the laundry and shower facilities, both of which we were badly in need of addressing. However, the very first thing that I did after getting all settled in was that I found the address and hours of the Verizon store in Paducah. With all the trials and mishaps that we had last week nothing upset me more than to find out that my special super-dooper Treo Palm 700p is not and WILL NOT in the future be compatible with Windows Vista thereby rendering it TOTALLY WORTHLESS as modem with my new laptop. It took many telephone calls to determine this fact and it just made me sick. This marina has a courtesy van so we drove to Paducah Kentucky Saturday evening to buy the new phone and air card. So now I am back to a regular Razar phone and I will give the Treo to my son-in-law. I am still toying with the idea of whether I can live without a Palm Pilot and I will use these next few weeks to see how it goes. Mainly I use my Palm to keep track of all of my passwords and to manage our finances with Pocket Quicken that I sync to the laptop version of Quicken.

I was up bright and early Sunday morning to play with my new toys in order to get them all set up and working. However, a funny thing happened…as I was doing laundry I started to meet a bunch of other Loopers. It seems that just about everyone doing the Loop stops at GTB. We truly have found Loopers (and all boaters for the most part) to be exceedingly friendly people. So instead of playing with my new gadets, we spent the day socializing and meeting new friends. It was wonderful to see how others travel with boats much larger than ours and a couple even smaller. We are one of the few people that are just starting the Loop. It seems that most of the people that we are meeting now are on the final legs of their adventures. Everyone was very helpful with tips and advice about we should expect in the future.

Monday I spent the day trying to get all of my communication chores caught up – I made a small dent in them , but I am still lagging behind…


Mark is totally rising to the occasion in that he is really making an effort to be Mr Fixit. Our generator has not worked since last Tuesday evening. When we got here to GTB we placed a service request with the marina for them to check out our generator but Mark decided that he wanted to take one more crack at fixing it himself. So he was tinkering with it pretty much all day and guess what? He fixed it all by himself. I was really impressed. He had all of his manuals out and was reading and concentrating and he fixed it! Sincerely, I was very proud of him and you should have seen the smile on his face once he realized that he had indeed gotten the generator to work. I think he even surprised himself. It was a major confidence boost for him. It is funny because I think this trip is giving him something totally different than it is giving me in that I think he is gaining a personal confidence and strength in himself. This is so different than anything he has ever done in his life before and I can see the pride and confidence as his abilities increase on a daily basis.

One can not come to the Land Between the Lakes without going to Patti’s Settlement in Grand Rivers. Patti’s is renowned for her 2” pork chops and good home cooking. Since Mark’s favorite meat is a pork chop, we had dinner at Patti’s Monday evening with our friends from Knot Home. Dinner was all that it was hyped up to be and more. Be sure to save room for desert – these too are to die for…

Hours on the water: 0
Nautical miles traveled: 0
Number of locks: 0
Time spent waiting at locks: 0
Tomorrow's Destination: Somewhere on Kentucky Lake
What we're listening to: 0
What we watched: Weeds episodes 5 & 6 – Season 1 = OK
Lesson for the day: I am much too attached to electronics
Obligatory knitting report: I did not knit once during the four days

No comments: