Saturday, October 13, 2007

Day 24 – October 13 –Pickwick Lake

As we continue down the Tennessee River the terrain starts to change as the hills become taller and more rolling. Trees seem to grow right out of the limestone and sandstone along the river bank. It just becomes more beautiful with each bend in the river.

For the last couple of days we have been listening to the audio book of I am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe. I love Wolfe’s detailed and descriptive writing style which is in direct contrast to the simple but lovely landscape of this river which made a for interesting mix.

At the Pickwick Lock we rose 55 feet and exited onto Pickwick Lake. I was awestruck by the beauty of this lake but the homes along it's shore were beyond belief. I have never in my life seen so many homes so massive in one general area. My first thought was that the music business in Nashville and Memphis must pay a ton of money as these homes are not just million dollar homes they are zillion dollar homes. I did not dare take any pictures for fear that I would be intruding…

We found a little cove in which to anchor for the evening. It was calm, cozy and just the perfect spot to spend the night.


Hours on the water: 7
Nautical miles traveled: 43
Number of locks: 1
Time spent waiting at locks: 30 minutes
Tomorrow's Destination: Wilson Lake
What we're listening to: I am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe
What we watched: Moulin Rouge = Excellent
Lesson for the day: Nicole Kidman is absolutely gorgeous and she can sing too!
Obligatory knitting report: Mittens for Wunder Kids

No comments: