Thursday, May 22, 2008

Manatees






As soon as we reached the western coast of Florida and came upon our first warning sign that Manatees might be present, I have been watching in earnest for Manatees. Knowing that they prefer shallow water, less than ten and more like three to five feet, I would be so disappointed when we would be in shallow water and not see a Manatee. Each and every harbor, bridge, narrow channel and shallow cove have signs warning boaters to be alert for the presence of Manatees. As we rounded the southern part of Florida and headed north along the eastern coast my disappointment and whining increased proportionately as each day passed when I did not see a Manatee. As we headed into our last harbor in Florida, Fernandina Beach, I was convinced that there really was no such thing as a Manatee – that they were just a big fat figment of some sick Floridian’s sense of humor to tease and taunt unsuspecting Yankees. How could be have spent so much time in Florida and not seen at least some evidence of a Manatee?

Then, low and behold on the morning of our departure from Fernandina Beach Manatees appeared right next to our boat. It was like Neptune had been listening to me whine and he sent them to me so that I could indeed know that Manatees exist. What was even more special about the Manatee visit was that by nature Manatees are a solitary creature, but it currently happens to be mating season. This is the only time of year that they travel in herds. It looked to me that there were at least three and possibly five in the group at our boat side. I was so excited that I could not stop taking pictures of them. The pictures are not all that good, but I now know that Manatees are cute, huge and do exist!

No comments: