Thursday, May 22, 2008

Knitting Knews

I must confess that the blog updates have been somewhat delayed lately due to my recent knitting mania. (Bob, I know that this is not a logical or valid excuse in your legal mind, but it is the whole truth and nothing but the truth) I always try to knit at least a little bit each day but something has come over me lately and I have been knitting almost constantly. Captain Mark will ask if it is dinner time and I will reply “I need to finish this row first…

It has been a while since I have had a new born baby to knit for, so it was a real treat to make this sweater/hat outfit for Maxwell. Maxwell was recently welcomed home by Amanda and Brad. I hope the sweater and hat keep him warm during those Iowa winters.



My current major project is Sally Melville’s Einstein Coat which I am making with Paton’s Merino in the most wonderful matronly purple. The entire coat is made using only the garter stitch which means that only the knit stitch is used. This is great mindless knitting that can be done while watching TV or while the boat is underway as it does not interfere with my navigational and deck monkey duties. However, it has become too large and the weather has been too not for me to work on it if the air conditioning is not turned on in the boat so I am limited as to when I can work on this project. I love how quickly and easily the coat is coming together and I can not wait to work on it on the way back to Indiana while in the air conditioned car.

This is what it will look like when completed:


This is what mine looks like now:



So for those times when it is too hot to work on the Einstein coat, I have been working on charity knitting. I love working on items for charity because I do not have to worry about my knitting gauge or whether the item will fit the intended recipient. There will always be someone who will fit whatever it is that I have made. My dear friend, Dianna patiently and faithfully collects the charity items made by our local knitting guild and sees that each item finds a home where they may be used and loved.



I am so excited, but I have to wait until I get home next week to start another project …knitting two socks at the same time on one long circular needle. This will be a new challenge for me as I normally knit socks one at a time using double pointed needles (or “pointy sticks” as Lolligag crew member Terry calls them). Please rest assured that I will keep everyone updated regarding my progress in learning this new technique.

No comments: