Sunday, July 11, 2010

Trenton Ontario

It stopped raining early Saturday morning but the heat and humidity just continue to make it extremely uncomfortable…I don’t think that we could leave Picton fast enough…if it was possible to leave skid marks on the water – we would have done so leaving the Picton Marina.

We had a leisurely ride to Trenton, Ontario which is town located at the beginning (southern end) of the Trent-Severn Waterway. Traveling on the open waters of Picton Bay was wonderfully refreshing as we were able to take advantage of the cool breeze. We watched as two seagulls had lunch.



We found our spot at the Fraser Park-Trenton Marina which is strategically located at the mouth of the T-S Waterway. Different marinas and towns have different flavors and as icky as the Picton Marina was, the Trenton Marina was delightful. The staff was fun, welcoming and most accommodating which always makes a stay easier.
We used the time to walk around the town once the sun went down a bit and found a great grocery store, the Metro which is an A&P but certainly not like any in the US…it was clean and well stocked. We purchased ribs which were so good that I sent Captain Mark back on Sunday to get another batch.

I also had another treat in Trenton…when inquiring about a Laundromat, I was told by the marina owners that a laundry service was available and that I would be very pleased with the end product…since the Laundromat was at least a half a mile walk and the temperature was back up in the high 90s, I quickly took advantage of this charming soul who would come to the boat, pick up my dirty clothes and then return them to me in less than four hours. Normally, I enjoy doing laundry but with this heat, having someone else do the wash was my idea of heaven. I could not have been more pleased…the clothes came back promptly and folded in exactly the same way I would have folded them. This service was a little pricey…but just this one time it was a perk I was willing to pay for!




All day Sunday we rested and read about the upcoming Trent-Severn Waterway experience. Just about every person who has done this Loop trip has commented that the Trent-Severn Waterway and Georgian Bay were the highlights of the trip so we are most excited to start this next leg of the journey.

Hours on the water: 4.75
Nautical miles traveled: 36
Number of bridges to be opened: 0
Time spent waiting at bridge: 0
Number of locks: 0
Next Destination: Campbellford, Ontario
What we are listening to: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Lesson for the day: It was nice having someone else do my laundry for a change.
Obligatory knitting report: Second blue sock for Wunder Kid Mark

No comments: