Friday, July 9, 2010

Picton Ontario


Upon arriving in Picton Marnia I was in for the rudest docking awakening yet …as I hopped off the boat to secure the lines (as there was no deck hand to meet us, which was okay) I nearly fell off the pier. The docks which are floating docks are so wobbly that the only thing that saved me from continuing to topple over into the water was the fact that instinctually I hit the deck to secure my balance. No other boats were secured to our pier and I was not sure if that was because no one else wanted to experience this thrill-ride or if they just chose not to stop in Picton. Most of our friends who have come to Picton had anchored out and I can certainly understand why…but since it has been so hot we wanted the electricity in order to run the AC.

After I had calmed down and gathered my courage to once again step on the pier, we decided to explore the actual town of Picton. It is now about 105 degrees and the heart of town is literally straight up the side of a mountain. By the time we reached the top of the hill, we were in serious need of a cooling station and water. We found the most charming bookstore with a coffee shop to regroup before we explored some more. I found a yarn shop and was forced to purchase some hemp/Merino blend yarn for socks for Captain Mark.





It rained through the night but the rain did not make the humidity go away and the rain continued off and on throughout the day on Friday. So we just stayed inside the boat for the remainder of our visit to Picton. Mark read, Dottie slept and I alternated working on the blog and knitting. It was early to sleep Friday evening as the rain continued…

No comments: