Wednesday, July 1, 2009

S is for Knitting


Before leaving Indiana when packing items for this leg of the Lolligag Adventures, I determined that the yarn that I would gather together from my stash would be such that everything I would make this summer would begin with the letter S. Items like sweaters, socks, scarves, and shawls (maybe even a shat or some smittens). My thought was also that I would not “need” to purchase any additional yarn because I brought along lots and lots of sock yarn, a medium amount of yarn suitable to make the Seaman’s Scarves for charity and just one large skein of lace weight yarn for a shawl for me.

As most knitters would agree, this thinking was just an addict’s feeble attempt at rationalization or a Deck Monkey’s way to slip yarn past the Captain without too much of a fuss. In my knitterly fiber heart, I knew that as soon as I entered the first yarn shop I would succumb to the allure of 100% pure Merino fibers. I resisted the urge to locate yarn shops for the better part of the first month aboard…however, when we found ourselves with extra time while in Annapolis, I could no longer prevent the rental car from driving to The Yarn Garden. I had heard that this was a terrific yarn shop and I was in “need” of a set of size 00 double pointed needles for the socks that I was currently making for Captain Mark… I was not to be disappointed in the slightest even though I did not find the size 00 dpns because I found instead the friendliest and most cheerful of yarn mavens. In addition, I found the most decadent alpaca sock yarn and the newest Noro sock yarn hot off the slow boat from Japan. So while I did not have the size 00 needles, I did leave with more sock yarn in keeping with the S plans for the summer. I also left full of laughter, good wishes and hugs from the wonderful staff at The Yarn Garden.



For the next three weeks, I happily alternated knitting between socks and scarves as Captain Mark’s sock drawer filled and the charity scarves increased in number.
When I spoke with one of my BFFs, Linda, back in Indiana who is going through a rough time with some icky medical procedures the desire to knit her a shawl became a driving force (obsession). Having known Linda for over thirty-five years I knew that the only color choice for her shawl would be purple. So with the assistance of my Ravelry friend Tanya, I found the perfect yarn for Linda’s shawl at Vulcan’s Rest Fibers in Chesapeake City.

The main section of the shawl is made with a 100% Merino lace weight yarn in a purple/lavender/gray variegated colorway. The outer lace edging is even more luscious in that it is knit with a Silk & Cashmere combination purple yarn that is a delight to hold, fondle and form into stitch after stitch.

I will admit very freely that one of the main reasons that the blog has recently been behind scheduled production is due to the fact that I have been knitting instead of typing. As there are several knitters in the Lolligag blog audience, I know that I will be cut some slack for being behind with my blog entries. Now I just have to convince Lolligag Blog Editor Bob that knitting is as important at times as is blogging…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All is forgiven!