Monday, July 20, 2009

In Search of Delaware

I have heard rumors most of my life that there is a state within the United States called Delaware. Normally, I am not a conspiracy theorist; however I have concluded after much observation and thought that there is really is not a plot of land or an actual physical location of Delaware. Yah, yah yah, I know that this is the address where I mail my credit card payments. That the colonial leaders in Delaware were able to secure ratification of the US Constitution on December 7, 1787, making Delaware the first state to do so and therefore giving claim to the slogan that I have seen on bogus Delaware auto license plates naming Delaware as the first state. Speaking of Delaware license plates, again I think this is just a rouse by those sly folks who for some unfathomable reason want to continue the Delaware myth. I have been to Disney World and even Disneyland, I know the magic that can be made by talented and clever artists who want us to believe in something that really defies logic and hard concrete evidence. Here is my reasoning for thinking that the state of Delaware does not exist:

1. I have never in my entire life met any person that was born, lived in or owned property in Delaware

2. We spent well over a year in the Chesapeake Bay/East Coast and not once did we go to Delaware

3. I could not locate one yarn shop within the state of Delaware

4. When we were traveling along what was supposedly the coastline of Delaware, fog/haze mysteriously rolled in suspiciously hiding any tell-tale landmarks

5. The ferry boats from Cape May, NJ headed to Lewes, DE looked almost exactly like the Tom Sawyer Mississippi Riverboats from Frontierland - they leave and they return, often times with the same people onboard leaving me to conclude that the ferry boats are just an amusement ride

6. We all know that UPS stores will provide a valid address for anyone wanting an alternative mailing address and this must be where my credit card payments are processed

7. To the best of my knowledge, IU basketball players have never played a team from Delaware and as every Hoosier knows, if IU has not played a team from Delaware then, Delaware must not exist

If you ever meet anyone who tells you that they are from Delaware look them straight in the eye to see if you can tell if they are joshing you…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm from DE, I swear, born and raised, and I own a Nordic Tug so I can't be all bad, oh and I love your blog.
Rebecca