Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Let’s Talk HOT

We left Isle of Hope Marina early Wednesday morning and in less than twenty minutes I was uncontrollably sweating. I had no idea that my ears could sweat…There is no graceful way for me to describe my body’s reaction to the heat and humidity that we have experienced since the reaching the Lowcountry.

If I thought it was hot when we were in the Keys, I was fooling myself. For me the hardest aspect to deal with is that the heat and the humidity are unrelenting – they never cease. In the Midwest we have several days of heat and sometimes even several weeks of high temperatures, but eventually it cools down - nothing like the constant ongoing heat that is the norm here in the South. What is even crazier is that by being on the water, we are several degrees cooler than the inland areas. Daily I plead and beseech Captain Mark to run the generator while we were underway so that the air conditioning would be on inside the boat. I drink as much water as I can and wear as few clothes as possible (but then I am afraid that I will scare away the dolphins as I am sure they have never seen such a fright as me barely clothed). I think Captain Mark has determined that in seeking future Lolligag crew that post-menopausal, hot flashing, sweat dripping deck monkeys will not be seriously considered.

No comments: