Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Fortunately and Unfortunately



While recuperating in Indiana I discovered a myriad of things that I could and could not do as a result of my injured hand. Until I was forced to come face to face with these limitations, I had never really thought about what it is like to have the use of only one hand/arm. I have definitely acquired a new sense of deep respect for the physically handicapped and thank my lucky stars each day that my infirmity is not permanent. The healing process is coming along very nicely. At this time it appears that I should regain full use and sensation in my finger and hand. The worst case scenario, if no complications arise from this point forward, is that I may have a deformed fingernail or no nail at all on the ring finger of my left hand. All things considered, I do feel very lucky indeed.

Fortunately these are the things that I could do:
Journey to French Lick to see Tom Wright perform
Take good drugs and sleep
Read all day long if I wanted
Lay on the couch like a princess
Read emails from lots of friends
Enjoy the cards and flowers that were sent
Guide Captain Mark as he prepared our meals
Not make the bed
Take long hot baths
Enjoy listening to Captain Mark play piano
Wear a glamorous Ziploc baggie on my left hand while showering
Control the TV remote
Watch Dr Phil every day
Sleep on all road trips while Captain Mark had to drive
Perfected the “homecoming queen” wave as a result of keeping my hand always above my heart
Watch (on TV) Indiana University beat Purdue in basketball!!



Unfortunately these are the things that I could not do:
Knit
Work on the computer (email or blog)
Have a glass of wine
Just about any normal physical task
Dress myself
Whine or feel sorry for myself (not allowed in our house)

One of the funniest aspects of being infirmed and bandaged is how it effected my driving. Since my bandage is so large, when I drive the pick-em-up truck my left hand keeps hitting the turn signal making it come on all the time. Now we all know how irritating it is to drive behind some OLD person who has their turn signal on constantly – but the next time you see this happening, please check to make sure that the driver is not me…

No comments: