Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Same Time Next Year or My affair With an Older Man

For as long as I can remember, I have been enamored with this gentleman and have always wanted to be more involved in his life. During the past fifty-nine years, he has brought me joy, happiness and many wonderful times. I have admired him, written him letters, and provided him with snacks during his busy work hours. At times I have even shared kisses and hugs with him. So it was with fondness and excitement that I became involved with and committed to him on a regular basis each year beginning four years ago. To have been chosen to be part of his life was a dream come true for me and I am willing to do whatever is necessary to make his life easier. The requirements to be a member of his team are stringent and exacting. He is a boss who expects only the best and highest quality from those lucky enough to be part of his unique crew. He asks that I forsake all others during my time of involvement with him and that I work physically harder than I have ever worked in my entire life. All the while I am required to be terminally perky, always smiling and ever cheerful. All of these things I do eagerly, with great enthusiasm and with nary a complaint. Each year my time spent with this wonderful fellow just gets better and more rewarding than the year before. My days with him are full of smiles, laughter and a cheerfulness that carries me through the year until we meet once again…



Yes, I am an Elf working for Santa at Macy’s (formerly Marshall Fields) State Street flagship store in Chicago. I spent December in Chicago with Santa while Captain Mark practiced piano in Indiana.






No comments: