Monday, September 24, 2007

Day 5 – September 24 - Henry

Upon rising today, I called the Starved Rock lockmaster to determine the status of the lock. He told us to come on down but when we got there, it appeared that it was going to take a little longer than anticipated to get the barge ahead of us into the lock, so this meant about an hour wait. Another Looper boat, Kaos, offered to allow us to raft off them as we waited and we gladly accepted their offer. We quickly introduced ourselves and we found that they had spent four months in the Bahamas last winter (as we plan to do this winter). They quickly filled us in on their wonderful experiences and gave us many recommendations and suggestions that I am sure we will find very valuable. They also suggested that we consider spending some time exploring the Tennessee River, especially a side trip to Chattanooga. We are giving this some very serious consideration as it sounds like a great idea.

Oh, I got into trouble at the lock today…after we were secured but before the water started to go down, I decided that I needed more lemonade and more ice. So I quickly run to the stern of the boat where the cooler is located but obviously not quick enough in that I did not escape the teasing of the lockmaster. He announced to the other two boats and commercial tug waiting in the lock that as soon as I was done getting my liquid refreshments that he would commence lowering the water…Everyone laughed and I just smiled while I held up my huge mug of lemonade.

The river south of Starved Rock lock is wide with lots of islands and inlets. Mark said that this is how he envisions the Mississippi to be…we shall see when we get there. Again the scenery is peaceful and serene. Today I did something that I had not done before while traveling on the river – I knit. Normally, I track our route manually as Mark navigates electronically, but today I decided that I wanted to knit. I was able to follow the chart book but I felt that I was missing the journey…I really do not think that I am able to multitask in this manner. Either I should knit or I should see where we are going. I am not one who can knit without looking at my work, so I think I will knit when we are stopped and not while we are underway.



Today I am paying the price for my poor choice in shoes yesterday during the hike. My legs were a little sore and stiff when I awoke this morning but as the day progressed so did the stiffness. I became acutely aware of this fact very quickly when docking the boat and I hopped onto the dock to tie the lines upon our arrival in Henry, Illinois. My calf muscles have decided to strike in protest to my very ignorant choice of hiking shoes. Therefore, they refuse to work. It is very difficult to walk and consequently tie up a boat when one’s legs refuse to cooperate with the rest of one’s body. It was truly a pitiful sight watching me try to coax my lower legs to follow the upper part of my body as I tried to maneuver along.

I have decided that I have found my own true Hell on this earth. Having found this place, I really do try to avoid it at all costs, but it is inevitable and my current destiny (penance?) that I must visit this place of ill-repute at least every ten days or so. I am sure that if Dante where alive today, that he would add another circle to Hell to include this place. It is always hot - unreasonable so, almost always not very clean and while I hate to sound like a snob (or snot), when I am there I am sure that I am in the company of major felons and at the very least, serious jaywalkers. Like all vices and addictions, I find that no matter how much I try to restrain myself and tell myself that I will never “use” again, I am back for more. I dread with all my heart to enter, but I am sucked back in each time. I find that I hoard my money in special stash just so that I may have enough for when the time is right. Upon leaving this establishment, I almost always have to take a shower to purge my body of the sweat and overall ickiness of the experience.
Yes, my Hell is a laundromat and I will never get used to them...

Hours on the water: 6
Nautical miles traveled: 33
Number of locks: 1
Time spent waiting at locks: 1.5 hours
Tomorrow's Destination: Peoria
Lesson for the day: Looping means doing what you gotta do sometimes
Obligatory knitting report: Baby and bear sweaters

No comments: